Digest of additional new D2Xs features:
- Refined automatic viewfinder mask for High-Speed Crop Mode usage. (Grays out area surrounding crop)
- Even better “calibrated” 2.5” LCD Image Monitor. (Wider 170 degree viewing angle like the D200)
- Adobe RGB is available in all three color modes.
- New Black & White sRGB mode.
- In-camera "trimmable" JPEG images for immediate website or e-mail usage. (640x480, etc.)
- Uses 3-D Color Matrix II metering in High-Speed Crop Mode within cropped frame only for more accurate cropped metering.
- New "easier-to-read" color scheme for menu displays.
- Incremental ISO settings between 800 ISO and Hi-1.
- Updated AUTO ISO with greater range and functionality for fast photography.
- New 2500mAH EN-EL4a battery with extended life of up to 3800 images. ( YES, it's also compatible with the D2X, D2H, and D2Hs ).
- Focus Tracking with Lock On, now time delay configurable.
- Up to 60 frames in JPEG burst mode.
- Three custom tone curves instead of one.
- FUNC button has expanded functionality.
- New Sensor Cleaning Mode keeps the mirror and shutter open without needing an AC adapter.
- Image Verification with new Image Authentication software. (Proves pictures are not altered)
- Recent Settings Menu can now be locked or cleared.
- D2Xs camera settings can be saved to compact flash card for backup purposes, or uploading to a different D2Xs.
- USB cable port has new lock to hold cable in place better.
- Improved Autofocus functionality. (Improved tracking, Faster Dynamic-area AF subject acquisition rate, Less lens focus hunting).
I notice that most of the new features could easily be installed in the older Nikon D2X with a software upgrade. Will Nikon give us one?